Let's Talk is a new weekly feature here at i swim for oceans. I think it's important that we all have our say, and there's something to be said for raising our voices. Simply put, here on the little old blog, I like to host some of my very own discussion posts because, well, I like to converse with you all.
And so, Let's Talk will feature questions or prompts, which I will answer, too. Love it or hate it, weigh in or don't, it's my hope that Let's Talk will at least get you thinking...and maybe even get you discussing with the rest of us!
What would you like to challenge yourself as a blogger and/or reader to do this year?
This is one question that I posed to myself when I decided to start the blog up again after a nearly 8 month hiatus from the blogosphere. When I stopped blogging in November, I was burned out physically and emotionally, and the thought of writing another post or another comment really just didn't sound even remotely appealing to me. As someone who prides herself in delivering meaningful content in a timely manner, it weighed on me that I was starting to slack - simply because my heart wasn't in it.
This year, I've set a few pretty decent and attainable goals for myself as both a reader and a blogger. While the two go hand-in-hand for me, I felt it was important to separate them out so that they'd be comprehensive and really outline why it is that I continue to blog 3 years after starting.
My goals as a blogger this year:
- Have fun and be yourself. If you're not enjoying it, don't do it.
- Take your role seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously. Embrace your quirks.
- Post as frequently as you feel is reasonable, but don't overdo it.
- Set limits and don't overburden yourself with requests for reviews that just don't interest you.
- Build the Let's Talk feature because I love it when bloggers discuss things openly.
My goals as a reader this year:
- Read more books for the sheer purpose of enjoyment, rather than reviews.
- Expand your reviewing horizon, and don't settle for self-imposed limitations (ie: contemps).
- Try more books on my e-reader...I got it for a reason.
- Step outside of my comfort zone more often without bias, if possible.
- Learn to read a bit slower. Speed reading, while a great skill, is not always the best. F'reals.
What about you all? What do you want to do this year to better yourself as a reader, or blogger, if anything? Do you even set goals for yourself? Let's hear what you've got to say!